The Story Of The Long Distance Strasberries
It took just under a week from the start of my 'quest' to having a strasberry ice cream batched in my ice cream maker. It was not the easiest of tasks. Here's why:
- The only place to get strasberries currently in the UK is Waitrose in London.
- Strasberries are only being sold by them at selected stores and for a limited period.
- When I rang one of their London branches I was told they had sold out of strasberries.
- Undaunted by this I enlisted the help of a close friend, a resident of central London, who kindly offered to pursue the matter further.
- My friend, Mary, then managed to enlist the help of someone else - friendly Waitrose store assistant Neil who said that some more strasberries might be coming in and would reserve some for her to go in, buy and collect.
- Having trekked down to the store and bought the strasberries, Mary then had to get them to me - via post!
- They arrived by Special Delivery with our postman fully intrigued by what was in the box. It was leaking strasberry juice! He didn't seem to mind though - his comment was that the smell was wonderful!
- I immediately unwrapped the strasberry juice-soaked package to find the strasberries still amazingly in tact and placed them in the refrigerator whilst I got ready to make ice cream.
- Half an hour later, using my own strawberry ice cream recipe as a basis, I was busy making my own strasberry ice cream.
- The result .... a truly delicious and unique ice cream.
I photographed every step of the ice cream making process so that I had evidence of what I'd done and how different the strasberries looked compared to normal strawberries and full details of my 'strasberry experience' are now live on ice-cream-recipes.com - see:
My recipe for Strasberry Ice Cream
My Strasberry Photographs
All published and live today 7 April 2008. It's a date I can easily remember as it's Jackie Chan's birthday - one of my son's heroes (and one of mine too!). I've already written about Jackie enjoying chocolate ice cream so it couldn't be a better publishing date.
Having checked extensively on Google, it appears that mine is the very first strasberry ice cream recipe ever published on the Internet. A genuine 'World First'. I'm delighted!